Sadly, it seems most of the country now is suffering hazardous air quality due to the conflagrations in so many states. Mercury is one of many, many chemicals, particulates and metals released, along with carbon monoxide, when pine or deciduous forests burn.
The 3 best preventative strategies include:
1. Stay Indoors: As much as possible! Consider getting high-quality HEPA-air cleaners for your home or at least your bedroom.
2. N95 Respirator Mask: The use of a well-fitted N95 respirator mask may help reduce particulate inhalation if you must go outdoors.
3. Support Oxidative Stress & Detoxification: Staying well-hydrated and having a diet rich in antioxidants - found abundantly in cruciferous vegetables. Your diet should also include foods rich in fiber. Aim for 2 bowel movements daily by adding 2 tablespoons of organic ground flaxseed and/or chia seeds to help bind toxins from reabsorption.
Increase intake of:
- Antioxidants: Eat the Rainbow daily – aim for 1 food from every color each day; organic berries, grapes, dark leafy greens, orange vegetables, green/white tea, tomato, etc.
- Whey Protein
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Glutathione: Found in cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, kale, watercress and mustard greens as well as allium vegetables such as garlic, shallots and onions. You may also discuss with your physician whether you should be taking an NAC or liposomal glutathione supplement.
- Vitamin C: Often found in red bell pepper, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, strawberries, papaya, pineapple, citrus, kiwi, cantaloupe and cauliflower.
- Zinc: Common in oysters, grass-fed meats, sesame seeds/hummus, pumpkin seeds, adzuki beans, wild rice, pine nuts, cashews, navy/white/black beans, sunflower seeds, teff, split peas, lentils, garbanzo beans, turkey, quinoa and shrimp.
- Selenium: Our favorites sources include: Brazil nuts, grass-fed beef, organic poultry/eggs, brown rice, sunflower seeds, mushrooms, gluten-free oatmeal and spinach.
- Omega 3 Fats: Found in wild-caught fatty fish (preferably those with lower levels of mercury aka 'SMASH fish': Salmon, Mackerel, Anchovies, Sardines, Herring), other seafood, fish or krill oil, algae or algal oil, flax seeds, chia seeds, hemp seeds and walnuts.
For added support speak with your physician about adding the following supplements: NAC, Vitamin C or a quality multivitamin like Pure ONE or Phytomulti, plus Seeking Health Liver Nutrients to support liver detoxification.