This thick and hearty vegetable soup is made with cabbage which is packed with fiber, potassium, vitamin B1 and copper. It’s also a delicious warm soup to help keep you warm and each serving will cover 1 vegetable serving a day!
Mexican Cabbage Soup
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Cup chopped onions
- 1 Cup chopped carrot
- 1 Cup chopped celery
- 1 Cup chopped green pepper
- 4 large garlic cloves minced
- 8 Cups sliced cabbage
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp minced chipotle chilis
- 1 Tsp ground cumin
- ½ Tsp ground coriander
- 4 Cups chicken or beef bone broth
- 4 Cups water
- 2 15 oz cans pinto or black beans
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ Cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 Avocado chopped
- ½ Cup shredded cheese
- Heat oil in a large soup pot (8 quart or larger) over medium heat.
- Add onions, carrot, celery, bell pepper, and garlic.
- Cook stiring frequently until softened 10-12 minutes.
- Add cabbage; cook, stirring occasionally until slightly softened about 10 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, chipotle, and cumin and cook stirring for 1 minute.
- Add broth, water, beans and salt.
- Cover and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered until the veggies are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in cilantro and lemon juice.
- Serve garnished with chopped avocado and cheese!